GSAA (PG) End Term Review
The Institute General Body Meets (GBMs) are conducted twice every year with the intent to provide all students a convenient mechanism to provide feedback and address concern to the student representatives responsible for various amenities on campus.
The GBM for GS Academic Affairs (PG) is scheduled from 4:20 PM on 3rd April in the P. C. Saxena Auditorium.
The content on this website is strictly the property of Insight and the Students’ Gymkhana IIT Bombay. If you wish to reproduce any content herein, please contact us:
Chief Editors: Mihir Kulkarni, Niranjan Thakurdesai
Mail to: insight [at] iitb.ac.in
Events in red are those that haven’t been started or there has been no satisfactory development in this regard.
Events in orange are those that have been initiated but not completed, or there have been some developments in this regard.
Events in green are those that have been completed as described in the manifesto, or have seen satisfactory developments.
- Propose to increase flexibility of qualifier rules implementation for research scholars in departments wherever possible.
- Push to enhance and provide full conferences grant and speed up the reimbursement process of conference funds.
Proposal for Enhancement of grants for PhD students was not approved even after repetitive request due to shortage of institute funds but proposal for providing conference grant to M.Tech students have been considered for certain pre-specified conferences.
- Propose to float Ph.D. topic and brief description of projects before admissions of PhD students for those departments where it is possible.
- Propose a 24×7 snack vending machine in academic area to facilitate late night working students in coordination with GSHA.
Tenders have been floated in this regard.
- Push for a central portal to book lab’s slot to enhance access of inter department lab equipments.
- Propose an Institute Honour Code to restrain malpractice and plagiarism by embracing student’s views through open house sessions.
- Propose a portal to track the status of thesis report after thesis submission.
- Promote ReSCoN to national/international level by enhancing interaction with other universities and research institutes.
- Push for increase in availability and transparency of quarters for spouses in research scholars with GSHA.
- Push to allow minors for PG students.
Currently IDC has agreed to provide minors to PG students.
- Conduct a mega annual event for PG’s to showcase their intellectual properties and invite industry experts in coordination with STAB.
- Push for Online Approval System for TA stipend and courses dropping which also reduce needless paperwork, effort and thus speed up academic process.
- Push for MoU with more universities for exchange program.
- Propose In house symposium with industry participation in the form of poster-presentations, workshops and seminars on ongoing research.
- Launch IIT Bombay PG Q&A online portal (like Quora) to solve all doubts related to academics, extra-curricular and to promote discussion on research in coordination with ISCP, IRSCP.
- Organize interactive/informal sessions among RSs to encourage research interactions(Done) and provide information regarding selection of relevant courses to research areas.
- Propose to optimize lab budget in department to upgrade basic lab-course related equipments.
- Organize relevant research industry visit semester wise through department AURAAs.
RESEARCH AND INDUSTRIAL EXPOSURE
- Conduct mock registration along with the department general secretaries and department AURAAs, prior to commencement of time table, to ensure hassle free core time-table and elective allocation.
- Create an online updated repository which contains a department-wise portal on research, technical activities and industry projects and a database of student along with project description, research papers and supervisors.
- Establish a feature-rich portal with pre-loaded information on all courses including course description, online study material, teaching trends, courseware from other universities and useful tips.
ACADEMIC ASSISTANCE PROGRAMME
- Promote PG students participation in Technical Entrepreneurship and Innovations through in coordination with STAB, E-Cell, SINE.
- Conduct relevant summer & winter technical software workshops followed by relevant minor projects to provide hands-on experience to the students.
- Conduct professional classes to improve spoken English, technical writing, presentation skills, GD/interview skills, resume and SOP writing classes. (Done, but with british council no student was interested because of high fee)
- Launch a placement help book, containing information related to written tests, interview questions, GD topics of most of the companies with the coordination of placement cell.
- Arrange video conferencing with alumni for guidance on higher studies and informative sessions on core and non-core jobs/internships, startups in coordination with SARC.
- Increase the number of companies providing internship for PG students with the coordination of Placement cell.
CAREER COUNSELING AND SOFT SKILLS DEVELOPMENT:
- Ensure the confirmation on the issue of Stipend hike for all PG students by MHRD too.
- Ensure room allotment to fresh PG students in respective hostels before orientation programme with coordination of GSHA.
- Increase number of formal/informal sessions with PG freshmen to make them more aware about academic curriculum as well as extra-curricular activities.
- Basic programming and research workshops like research methodology, MATLAB, LaTeX etc.
- Increase collaboration of PG bodies (IRSCP, ISCP and RSF) with PG Academic council to promote research activities.
- Ensure a blog containing amount of work done by the council, inviting suggestions and deciding the future course of action on policy decisions.
- Ensure Open houses are conducted in departments wherever possible to discuss academic issues.
- Keep PGAC website portal updated to notify students about all international scholarships & opportunities and speedy address of academic problems through the Query & complaint portal.
COUNCIL TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY
- E-thesis will be available on intra server which was not accessible earlier. Proposal has been passed in senate
- Institute wide Mandatory guidelines of two publications has been relaxed. Proposal has been passed in senate
- More than 1000 tablets were distributed to freshers. Provision of returning it back is kept by introducing a column in No dues so that these can be further recycled and can be distributed to future coming students
- Department Academic Assistantship program(DAAP) is going on in 6 departments to help out academically weak students by providing them mentorship through senior students.
- Bridge courses are also introduced in departments after conducting surveys in all departments
- Revamp in Online Retagging : Compiled report from surveys conducted in all departments, has been approved in PGPC along with psuedo code for its student friendly interface. Most likely, these changes will be incorporated within the semester.
- KPMG Six sigma Green Belt program workshop was conducted. More than 140 students participated in the sessions. Response received was 3.5 times more than the previous one.